- 3/4 cup room temperature vegan butter
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 2 lb bag of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond milk, soy milk or other nut milk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon of butter extract or butter flavoring
- Optional: food coloring
- All ingredients should be room temperature before starting, including the butter (do not heat in microwave).
- Mix butter and shortening in your stand mixer until light and fluffy for about 2 minutes. (It's important to incorporate as much air as possible for a light and fluffy buttercream.)
- Turn off the mixer, add in your extracts and your almond milk, turn the mixer on slow speed until these are fully incorporated, after fully incorporated let the ingredients mix on medium for another min.
- Turn off the mixer and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar adding a half a cup at a time and turning the mixer on the lowest setting until each half cup is incorporated.
- After incorporating all the powdered sugar whip on medium speed for 3 minutes until the buttercream is a fluffy consistency.
- If the consistency is thicker than you'd like you can add a little more almond milk, starting with 1/2 teaspoon at a time. (Do not add too much it will break the buttercream)
- Store it in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator up to a week. Once it’s been in the refrigerator, let it sit at room temperature about 10 minutes to slightly soften. Enjoy!