Bird’s Nest Sugar Cookies
These Bird’s Nest Sugar Cookies are fun-to-make & the perfect Easter treat for all ages.
Make these Bird’s Nest Sugar Cookies in full-size muffin tins or make them mini for the kiddos!
- 2 packages Sweet Loren’s Sugar Cookie Dough
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (at room temperature) or 8 oz solid coconut oil
- 1 pound confectioners sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup melted chocolate or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Chocolate candy eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°F and let Sweet Loren’s Sugar Cookie Dough come to room temperature so it becomes soft to touch.
- Grease a 12-count muffin pan or 2, 24 count mini muffin tins. You can do half & half, creating some larger & some smaller Bird’s Nests.
- Combine 1 1/2 portions of cookie dough & mix in 1 teaspoon coconut shreds. Then, roll into one ball & roll in any leftover coconut. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. If making mini Bird’s Nests, use ½ portions of cookie dough & roll with ½ teaspoon shredded coconut each.
- Place coconut-coated cookie dough balls into muffin tins.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes until cookies have risen into cookie cups and edges are lightly golden.
- Cool pan on a wire baking rack for at least 25 minutes. Don’t remove the cookie nests from pan until completely cooled. The center of your cookie cups should sink in as they cool.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream icing. Beat butter (or solid coconut oil that hasn’t melted yet) in a bowl with an electric mixer for 5-6 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in 1 cup of confectioners sugar at a time, beating on medium speed in between each addition. Once all confectioners sugar is added, mix in the vanilla extract. Beat the icing for another 8 minutes until thick and smooth. Whisk cooled & melted chocolate into the batter or cocoa powder. Blend until smooth and no streaks remain.
- Transfer icing to a piping bag fitted with a large circle tip or place icing into a plastic bag and snip off the end. Pipe the icing into each cookie cup.
- Top each cookie cup with 2 to 3 chocolate eggs.
- Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!